VA home loan programs help veterans finance the purchase of homes with favorable loan terms and at an interest rate typically lower than rates charged on other types of mortgages.
VA Home Loans overview:
- No down payment required (provided the veteran is income- and credit-qualified and the purchase price is more than the reasonable value of the property).
- Buyer informed of property’s reasonable value.
- Negotiable interest rate.
- Ability to finance the VA funding fee (plus reduced funding fees with a down payment of at least 5% and exemption for veterans receiving VA compensation).
- Comparable closing costs with other financing types (or may be lower).
- No mortgage insurance required.
- Gifts and seller contributions accepted toward closing costs.
- An assumable mortgage (with the approval of the VA).
- Right to prepay without penalty.
- VA assistance to veteran homebuyers in default due to temporary financial difficulty.